Market Basket coming to Biddeford | News
BIDDEFORD, Maine (NEWS CENTER) -- The city of Biddeford is set to be the site of the first Market Basket grocery store in Maine. The privately owned and operated chain has about 70 stores in Massachusetts and New Hampshire.
According to the city's economic development director, Daniel Stevenson, the grocery store will occupy the vacant Lowes store in the Shops at Biddeford Crossing which will soon undergo a multi-million dollar renovation, transforming the massive store into a roughly 108,000 square foot grocery store.
Stevenson says the company plans to employ about 500 to 600 people, with many of those positions being part-time. He said the company estimates about 125 full-time positions will be created when the store opens.
Messages left with the company's corporate office asking for comment on the move were not returned.
Stevenson says the company hopes to begin renovations early next year and open sometime early next fall.
Upcoming Events near Biddeford - Saco
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- South Portland police arrest N.Y. man on forgery charges
- Clean Water Bond could correct mistakes by investing in water quality improvements.
- Million Meals Maine feeds starving children
- A car struck a pedestrian in Scarborough
- The closure of a small section of Higgins Beach has ruffled some feathers in Scarborough.